Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ramblings #12 (Inspiration and Indie)

I don't think that was the inspiration I had in mind.
I have no idea why earworms happen. Especially with that stupid song "We Can't Stop" GOOOOOOODDDDDD! I hate that song! yet I find myself swaying to it and singing along, even though I really don't like top 40. Except for "Applause." I don't like Lady Gaga that much, but I love that song. It reminds me of me, except for I'm not a swan. :)

That's what media does: it feeds us. It feeds our information, our ideas, our trends, our memes, our opinions; wow, it feeds a lot. 

In my mind, I love having media with me. If everyone thought exactly like me (God forbid, [I wouldn't want to live in a world where everyone was as crazy as me, that would be anarchy!]) Anyways, If this anarchic world was the way the world actually was, then that world wouldn't use media in a negative way. They would use media for inspiration as well as seeing objective information. The use of media to spread lies is unacceptable. But we accept it freely. It's like the State Farm commercial about the Internet. (uhhhh... bonjour!)

So, back to Gaga. She does not inspire me. However, the message in "Applause" is inspirational. I am a performer. I live for applause. I'm kind of an attention whore, for lack of a better term. I love it when people like me. Being shy and an outcast in school really made me crave whatever good attention would come to me. I hated not feeling like I mattered just because my social skills are wired differently. (Ironically, in the skill finder test, my biggest strength was communication.) 

However, it was great music, indie music that inspired me, like DIIV, Phoenix,  Gogol Bordello, Grouplove, The Naked and Famous, M83, The Black Keys, Passion Pit, The Maine, and so many others that I can't really think of right now. This kind of music inspired me to break out of my shell that I had kept over myself since kindergarten, and to be confident. Top 40 never did that, ever!

As an artist, that's what I would use media for: inspiration. In my perfect life, I believe that's where it would fit the most.

~ロメロ・ブリアナ (The perfect place to finalize my Japanese name.)

1 comment: